- Autumn leaves in bright colours beneath my feet.
- Talking to a friend over the phone. She can be so straight forward yet so right. I value honesty and good advice.
- A book about "hygge". Having browsed through the book, I think it will be a nice read. I am confused it is written by a non-Danish author though.
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
- I leave the office early by not participating in the fire escape rehearsal. My girls are surprised to see me home before 5 p.m.
- Em is happy to share about her philosophy class. When it comes to debating and argumentation she's unbeatable.
- My Mom comes over right from her trip with her old coworkers. It is nice listening about the wonderful castle and the lovely village she has been to.
Monday, November 6, 2017
- A boy waving at me while crossing the street with his mommy right in front of my car. I wave back.
- Shopping for candles and a plate for the Advent wreath in a lovely pink colour. It is nice to just do and not get into overthinking about the past and the future and all the in-between.
- We watch the documentary piece about the students' tour to Auschwitz on TV. Em's statement is the closing one.
Thursday, October 5, 2017
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
- A joke at the office makes me laugh to tears. I remember it while I drive home in the car and still have to laugh out loud. It's been a while and it felt so relaxing.
- On my way to the library down the alley of trees by the river I spot kaleidoscope pink knitted scarves wrapped around tree trunks by Europa Donna.
- I accompany Em to the gym to the see the place. It seems nice. Simple. No TV screens, no fancy posters.
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
- I am thrilled to hear Em had stood up for herself and expressed her opinion about not having been named vice president (after she had run for school students' president and lost). She says she even surprised herself to have had the guts to do this and speak out in front of teacher coordinators and other class representatives, but she just couldn't keep quiet. Way to go, my girl. Em has stood up for herself and/or others many times in primary and secondary school, and this is just one more situation proving the values she stands for.
- Texting with Elaine from UK.
- It crossed my mind a while ago how our house resembled William's from the movie Notting Hill with all the stairs and floors. And bang, tonight the movie is on TV again.
Monday, October 2, 2017
- I open wide the windows in the morning and notice the golden treetops along the river.
- Jay calls me to tell me about her math test and English project presentation. I sense self-confidence in her voice.
- Right after we turn off the light Em comes downstairs to wish us goodnight and cuddles with her little sister.
Sunday, October 1, 2017
Saturday, September 30, 2017
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
- I manage to finish writing the update about our summer and e-mail it to my friend in Denmark.
- First Em refuses to talk about it, then after an hour or so she comes downstairs to our kitchen to share details about the first day of her running for school students' president.
- Jay is eager to go through her English before bedtime with me to be reassured before her questioning tomorrow. I think she is doing really well, my girl.
Thursday, May 25, 2017
Second morning in a row that I am sitting in my car, parked outside our office building, for over half an hour, struggling. Something's got to change. The system is not going to. I have to.
Today's good things:
- A promising job ad.
- Reading again. The invention of Wings.
- Walked 11 times round the track while Jay was at her piano class.
Saturday, January 14, 2017
- A beautiful view through the window. All snow. And the blue sky.
- Jay makes a small snowman (before she leaves). I take photos of her with my phone (which I am looking at right now and missing her terribly although she's only away till tomorrow afternoon).
- I do my e-banking and even check some jobs sites in the evening while listening to Em's singing in the bathroom. I'm feeling most grateful she's here and that I have something useful and important to do.