- It is snowing.
- It is snowing and I have the day off from work.
- It is snowing and I get to spend the whole day with my girls.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
Monday, April 25, 2016
- A call from a friend, short but nice.
- I have a hot soup waiting for me on the table at my Mom's. Grateful.
- As I drive from work there is a big dark cloud above me, but there is light all around, and I can't seem to get out of the cloud's shadow. It's like a metaphor. The wind could be blowing the same direction as I am going, so the cloud is travelling with me. And if I just change direction, drive either against the wind or turn left or right and just keep going, there will be sunshine. It can't be dark and cloudy forever, can it.
Sunday, April 24, 2016
Lots of firsts and seconds today:
- Em arrives safely. We pick her up at 2 a.m., Jay and I. It was her first trip to the French countryside and she loved it.
- A call from a potential buyer. It's the first time that we will have someone come over more than once. That should be a good sign.
- A lovely postcard in my mailbox. The second time that I completed the Love Notes project.
Wednesday, April 20, 2016
- Em texts me back that they have made a stop in Monaco and that she will be moving there. I am so happy that she is seeing all these new places and broadening her horizons.
- I walk below the cherry trees and over the pink and white petals covering the edge of the driveway.
- Jay has learnt to play Kabalevki’s Clowns within 20 minutes, says her teacher.
Tuesday, April 19, 2016
- A lovely postcard arrives today. Today is a good day.
- Em’s adrenaline and my stress and panic over her 5-day trip to France. We get to the parking lot by the school at the same time as the bus and before I know it, they drive off. I miss her already.
- A hot shower at midnight. I am grateful for hot water.
Monday, April 18, 2016
- I thought I’d still have to arrange for travel insurance with assistance for Em but then I call the travel agency to check and they tell me I have already paid for that.
- Snacks to go on my to do list. Buying all in one place saves me time.
- The story that I watch on TV late at night, about the lady going from doing nothing to completing a triathlon, is inspiring. It doesn’t matter what, as long as we push our limits, do what seems impossible and believe in ourselves again... that’s what I want for myself.
Sunday, April 17, 2016
- While doing my morning exercise I finish watching the movie, and really like the quote “it is never wrong to do the right thing”.
- The sight of a woman trying to hide her tears, with two children sitting next to her, is one of those moments when I realize all over again how we are all in this together, joy, misery, good, bad. I am glad to step out my self-centeredness.
- We hike up to St. Nicolas’ church again and back, Jay and I, and then we stop by the vineyards on the southern side of the hill and enjoy the view like Jay suggested.
Saturday, April 16, 2016
Friday, April 15, 2016
- Watching the sunrise outside out house. I take photos to freeze the moment, then drive off to work.
- There was a nerve-wracking and time consuming situation at the office just as I was about to leave, but despite everything I manage to get to school on time and wait for the bus with a smile on my face. A big hug for Jay, returning from the 5-day swimming & activities class.
- Jay reveals the recipe she used to get asleep while she was away from home: she imagined playing the piano. One early morning two of her mates were very loud and woke up the rest of the girls in the room, and Jay was mad because she had been right in the middle of a wonderful song.
Thursday, April 14, 2016
- It is after the rain that I step out of our building, late and tired, but the air is fresh and colors are live.
- I almost finish reading the book while riding the train. I am so grateful I have dug out this one again from my bookshelves after a couple of years. There is a gradual shift in my perspective since I started it, and I can already see the effects in dealing with everyday situations, like today’s.
- Em’s fighting a virus with a positive attitude and lots of sleep. I help with some ginger tea and cuddling.
Wednesday, April 13, 2016
- My ultrasound check-up shows no change since my visit last April. No news is very good news.
- I sit in the car in the parking garage and I listen to my favorite radio station. There is an inspiring interview with a former radio speaker and it brings tears to my eyes.
- Em’s school chorus’ Spring concert with national songs warms my soul. On our way home Em says she won’t quit next school year either because she enjoys being a part of it so much.
Tuesday, April 12, 2016
- One of my orchid has so many beautiful white blossoms that I can’t help but admire them in the morning as I put the pot back on the kitchen window.
- I manage to do some bathroom cleaning with my left arm. Going well.
- A call from Jay's teacher to reassure me about the kids after I have spoken to Jay on the verge of crying from exhaustion after a long day of activities.
Monday, April 11, 2016
Many firsts today:
- Among the two ice-creams that I got directly from the producer this morning Em picks the Talking Angela strawberry taste with white chocolate and she likes it a lot.
- Jay tell me everything about her first day at the one week school by the sea. She is sleeping up on the bunk bed.
- I enrolled in online banking and created my first post on my fb page today.
Thursday, April 7, 2016
- The treatment gives me almost instant relief. Now I can actually get up from my seat.
- I open the window in Jay’s room and we lean out to listen to the birds’ singing in the forest.
- I take a slow walk down the road and back late in the evening. I am thankful to be able to move without pain and to be out in the fresh air, in the dark.
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
- We have the most beautiful cherry tree in our garden in full bloom. Its treetop is round and wide and I can’t stop looking at it now that it is covered with blossoms.
- Jay is worried about what will happen when she swims with her earrings on next week. I know what she means but I joke that she needn’t worry because her earrings are very light and won’t drag her below the surface. We both laugh out loud.
- Jay’s invitation to her post-birthday celebration with friends is very well written.
Tuesday, April 5, 2016
- Jay has her blood taken at the lab. To distract her I tell the medic she had her birthday yesterday and he asks Jay why she has not brought him any birthday cake of hers.
- The patisserie is being renovated, so we go to the bakery shop a short drive away. We eat our breakfast there and it is nice to take time and not rush to work right away.
- Lying in my bed with a gel heating pad under my lower back.
Monday, April 4, 2016
Sunday, April 3, 2016
- I have cold feet making this cake for the first time, but I think to myself it really can’t be that hard with Jay helping me and no audience to make me nervous. Once it is decorated it’s perfect. And it’s yummy.
- Jay’s presents are wrapped and all is set for photo shooting. Big excitement, birthday wishes coming true one day earlier.
- We have fun playing the new game with cards and questions, just the two of us.
Saturday, April 2, 2016
- Jay’s ears’ piercing doesn’t go too well, but soon the pain is gone and she keeps asking if her blue butterflies’ earrings look beautiful.
- We pass the store with toys and I urge Jay to step in to check if that game she so wishes for, has already been delivered. And it has been and it is just perfect timing for her birthday.
- The bouquet with small pink carnations turns out lovely, just the kind I wanted for my soon-to-be-10-yo girl.