- I walk to the car service at lunch time. Sun. So much sun.
- Jay’s excitement when I suggest an afternoon train ride to Celje Fairy Land with her grandma.
- I make phone calls I haven’t made in months, and text to people I haven’t had the chance to reach. One friend had a big news to share, another one is looking forward to our January reunion… Every journey starts with a first step.
Monday, December 29, 2014
Sunday, December 28, 2014
- We wake up to a snow blanketed land.
- Their red cheeks when they return from their sleighing adventure.
- The puppets' show with Kazimir the Cat and Valentina the Mouse is sweet. For a moment I thought Jay was too big for it, but it is perfect. Also for me. Kazimir and Valentina win the audition. Together.
Saturday, December 27, 2014
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Monday, December 22, 2014
- Jay says she doesn't mind all that much that their class performance (with Jay playing Rudolph, the red-nosed Reindeer on the piano, and four other girls dancing) did not get into the school finals, because most of the teachers voted for them… which means they were really good. I like her attitude.
- The most beautiful sunset with pink-belly clouds covering the entire sky.
- After I am done grocery shopping I feel less tense, knowing at least I can tick off one thing from my list, as trivial as it may be.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
- When I park the car in their driveway I am in a total shock. It is an American house, with an mail box and a California Route 66 sign by the side of the road. The sight of it all lingers on in my mind for the rest of the day.
- We descend at dusk. The girls run ahead and disappear down the road. A breeze of fresh air.
- Suddenly I felt I needed to do something, anything, like go there and scratch the car, or throw a huge stone at it, or tear off the plates. Agony. But then it all dissolves… and I am back.
Friday, December 19, 2014
- I spend my day running errands. It takes 4 pieces of paper before I get the classified right, more than an hour to sort things out with the bank, and three phone calls and lots of driving around before I drop off the goat milk products I bought for my aunt at the open market. I feel very small but very powerful.
- Em makes a last minute announcement she will be having a party with two of her friends upstairs. It’s her birthday tomorrow and I was hoping to know about her plans at least one day ahead… But it seems there is going to be a whole lot more of short notices like this in the future. Every day, something new with children around. How can I not be grateful…?
- Girls laughing, singing, dancing, watching TV together. I take a peek or two. Happy faces.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Monday, December 15, 2014
Sunday, December 14, 2014
- After a lot of persuading Jay puts on her hiking clothes and shoes and off we go. And she enjoys it so much she is sorry when we leave the spot with the tiny stream of water in the woods.
- I got the idea from a long gone self-made card my cousin once sent. It takes time and a lot of effort but we are really happy with the result. I think Em should get an A for this one.
- At nearly 11 p.m. I turn off the yoghurt-maker and place the jars in the fridge. Then I go to Em’s room to tuck her in. It feels like a good end of the day.
Thursday, December 11, 2014
- I miss Em by an hour. But she took photos with my camera so I can see her plaited hair before our reunion.
- And then we applaud so hard that the chorus sings another song. It is so beautiful I start crying.
- We shake hands, my old classmate and I, and I say how wonderful that both of our kids are attending the same school again.