- Crispy baguettes and vegan spreads at the office. Delicious.
- O, happy day! Em’s wide smile.
- After a long period of no TV I watch two movies in a row only to realize that I don’t enjoy such marathons anymore. And that is really good.
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Monday, December 15, 2014
Sunday, December 14, 2014
- After a lot of persuading Jay puts on her hiking clothes and shoes and off we go. And she enjoys it so much she is sorry when we leave the spot with the tiny stream of water in the woods.
- I got the idea from a long gone self-made card my cousin once sent. It takes time and a lot of effort but we are really happy with the result. I think Em should get an A for this one.
- At nearly 11 p.m. I turn off the yoghurt-maker and place the jars in the fridge. Then I go to Em’s room to tuck her in. It feels like a good end of the day.
Thursday, December 11, 2014
- I miss Em by an hour. But she took photos with my camera so I can see her plaited hair before our reunion.
- And then we applaud so hard that the chorus sings another song. It is so beautiful I start crying.
- We shake hands, my old classmate and I, and I say how wonderful that both of our kids are attending the same school again.
Thursday, November 27, 2014
- I grab the chance to walk to the mall and back to get the thing done and still get some air and a boost of energy.
- As I get out of the building at 6 p.m. I have a warm car waiting for me. And a piece of my Mom’s apple pie.
- Jay’s tooth is out. We are now waiting for the tooth fairy. She has it all figured out already, but she is still very much excited.
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
- Then I pull out a skirt and a blouse hidden away in a box, and they are exactly what Jay wanted. A few moments later she twirls in front of the mirror, all dressed up.
- I sit down on Em’s bed and try to concentrate on her exercise. I still feel very much agitated inside but I am more than thankful to have to put my mind to English verbs and adjectives, because my mind likes that. And my feelings will follow.
- We lie on the big bed, and I wrap my arms around my big girl, with papers scattered all around.
Monday, November 24, 2014
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
- Suddenly I feel like I should call my friend that I haven’t spoken to in over one year. She answers the phone and says she has just been thinking of me while sitting at the table and having a tangerine.
- I see she has indeed cleared her room of all the gadgets to work on her history.
- Jay copies a long story of hers from her notebook to a sheet of paper. It is a long process but she is eager to do it because her story will be displayed in the school hall for others to read.
Sunday, November 16, 2014
- My girls enjoying Sunday lunch that I have put so much time, effort and love in.
- I walk as fast as I can. Chasing the sun. Looking for spring flowers that have popped out of the ground, confused by the high late Autumn temperatures. Breathing. Struggling, then enjoying again. Within less than 2 hours I reach the top of the hill, my leg hurts, but I am very pleased.
- Before bedtime we do some crafting again, Jay and I. She uses a lot of glitter. I help her with cutting and leave working on my own card this time.
Thursday, November 13, 2014
- I am surprised to hear that Jay wants to attend the travelogue about Vietnam, too. She listens and watches the slides attentively for over 90 minutes. At home both girls are thrilled to have a bite before bedtime. No wonder, after seeing so many slides of exotic colorful dishes...
- Not succeeding to log-in makes me really nervous. But l have one more day before the deadline to solve the matter.
- At 11 p.m. I feel too tired to do anything but sleep. I push myself to get my hair washed, and that is a good thing.
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Thursday, November 6, 2014
- I have a quick lunch with an old friend. He shares about his plans to go trekking to Nepal next year. It is nice to hear about someone else’s goals and excitement.
- Em is not happy with her grade at history class and whatever suggestion I make just irritates her. After a while I hear her singing in her room, and then she downstairs with a smile on her face to share the news about a great chance of her opening this year’s school annual talent show.
- We spend some time at the bookstore, Jay and I. There are books and boxes and diaries and hand-made pottery that I would like to have, but I look and enjoy and end up with just a calendar and a pen.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
- At lunchtime I take a cab downtown to the open market to buy some goat milk products. I even have a few minutes to stop at the bookstore. Thirty minutes of pure luxury.
- I have lunch waiting for me when I walk through the door. Vegetable barley soup and apple & curd strudel. I am so lucky. Thank you, Mom.
- After her music theory Jay decides to walk down to her piano teacher’s office to talk about rescheduling her Monday classes. I feel a little uncertain about leaving it up to a 8-yo to discuss it over, but when she comes back with details about how she has it all under control now, I know it was the right thing to do. She is such a big girl already.
Monday, October 27, 2014
- My colleague at work notices that I feel better, more relaxed, less stressed out. It is true. Mostly it has to do with my working on accepting what is and not fighting it all so much.
- I didn’t have even an instant to consider my action or reaction. I ran into a group of people at the top of the stairs and said hi, and she was one of them and that was that.
- I run errands after work and get my computer delivered by my cousin and her lovely daughter Naja that come visit. And my girls have a lot to share about the school work they have done during their day at home. I have an overall good feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.
Thursday, October 16, 2014
- It is hard when you feel like you had bad luck getting a lower grade than expected. But within a few hours she manages to process the whole school thing and I see a smile on her face. And that is all that matters.
- After I am finished making pizza I decide to go for a walk before it’s served. It’s all wonderful: the smell of freshly cut grass as I cross the clearing, my deep breathing, the wind at the top of the hill where I make a stop next to the old church.
- Jay teaches me to play the piano with my left hand while she plays with her right one. It feels awkward and looks strange as if I had cramping fingers, but we manage somehow and laugh a whole lot.
Sunday, October 12, 2014
- Pegging out washing in the sun is my favorite time, even when it needs to be done in a hurry.
- Jay helps pouring the glasses while I put them in the yoghurt maker. It is our Sunday afternoon ritual only that we have it done earlier today and I don’t need to get up in the middle of the night to turn off the machine.
- Two apples, snatched right from the tree as we walk up the hill through the orchard, Jay and I. I set bad examples. So did my Mom, many many autumns ago but we have created great memories back then.
Thursday, October 9, 2014
- A full moon morning sky.
- I let go of worry about who is going to pick up Jay and just sit in the sun, waiting for my friend Darja to join me.
- Instead of driving straight home late in the evening I make a detour to our old neighborhood. I drive by the house that used to belong to my grandparents, with the light in one window, and further by the neighboring burgundy villa, all dark because nobody lives there anymore. It is all different now yet familiar and heart-warming.