- I can’t do any more praying. I focus on what I need to text to Em. A relief on her face as she returns to the waiting room. This is a good day.
- Em’s first grade at physics.
- The dentist smiles at us as we walk in and calls Jay a princess.
Monday, September 22, 2014
Thursday, September 18, 2014
- I got my monthly pay check. And I have a job. I am grateful.
- There is a traffic jam on our way home and we leave the highway, but there is one on the local road, too. We slowly drive by a field of sunflowers. This view is worth the detour.
- I had good intentions to go to bed super early. Then I go to Em's room and she talks about school, about her mates and teachers, and shares about her feelings, and she cries a little and laughs a lot, and then we laugh until we cry, and it is all wonderful and it extends late into the night.
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
- Knowing that this project can’t possible take as long to get it off my back as it has taken up till now is my only motive at the office today.
- Removing beans from the pods with Jay is the highlight of my day. The harvest from our vegetable garden fill up a big bowl.
- Home-made tuna spread for supper. Because my girls love it.
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
- I don’t have to call the taxi today. First my coworker Greg gives me a lift downtown, and after the meeting Barb gladly offers to take me home.
- My first parents' meeting at Em's school. The same school I attended only 32 years earlier. Amazing. Same place, but so different, all renovated and so cooool.
- As soon as I walk through the door they come downstairs and give me a big hug. Just what I needed after a long day.
Sunday, September 14, 2014
- I feel uncomfortable knowing there are present, sitting just a few benches behind me, but not running into them after the ceremony is definitely a good thing.
- Finally we are out of the door and doing our Sunday afternoon walk and picking walnuts nobody wanted to pick. We are lucky to have sun again.
- At bedtime Jay sneaks into my bed to play a Sudoku on my mobile phone and cuddle a little before going to her room. After she leaves Em comes in and shares about her joys and fears for the coming 3rd week at Secondary school. I wish I could extend moments like these to infinity.
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
- Thankful to my friends: to M. who gives me a lift to get to our family car, and to K. from Denmark, for the lovely update.
- Jay lays down next to me on the big bed. She says it is cuddling time and wraps her arms and legs around me.
- I have a new laptop at home, the first one of my own, and when nothing works like it should I decide to be super patient with myself. And then I shut it down and use the stationary bike instead.
Thursday, July 24, 2014
- As soon as I see the pendant with the funny owl, I know I need to buy it for Jay.
- The salesman at the bookstore says: You will manage yourself, won’t you. It’s more of a statement than a question, because I am regular.
- While Em and I watch our favorite TV episode together I hear Jay and her friend laughing outside, on the trampoline.
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Our day at the sea didn’t start nor end too well: Em got badly burnt by a medusa on the back of her leg, just below her knee, as soon as she got in the water, and I got badly sun-burnt and lost my sunhat which I realized when we got home. But all the in-betweens were very fine:
- Jay’s perfect dead man’s float
- Em’s medusa burns in the shape of a heart
- swimming, splashing and laughing hard with the girls.
Friday, July 18, 2014
Thursday, July 17, 2014
- I find it out it is pouring rain outside and I don’t have an umbrella to walk back to the office. Then I turn around and my colleague from work is in line, right behind me. And she has a car.
- I print out my story and now it is ready to be sent out to my swap partners.
- By the time I am done washing their hair and piling the laundry I don't feel tired anymore.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
- After the tour of the office Em says she thinks it’s nice to work in a place like this, where you know everybody. I like her perspective.
- At the mall we run into relatives from Ljubno that I hadn’t seen in decades. For a moment I am 12 years old and spending summer at my Mom’s aunt, running all over green pastures with my playmates.
- Just as we stop the car by the side of the road my auntie and my cousin with her little girl sitting comfortably in her seat, come cycling by.
Monday, July 14, 2014
- Talking over the phone at 1 a.m. with my friend D. who couldn’t sleep either.
- The girls got cross with one another, but then Em gives Jay a hug and agrees to walk to the library with us.
- Jay reads her book in bed and urges me to do the same, but I am too tired and I just lay next to her. It feels like we have changed roles.
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Saturday, July 12, 2014
- Driving to the farm Flis to buy yoghurts is always a nice experience for Jay and me.
- Em has so much to share about her time at the mountaineering camp: she has met so many great people and enjoyed all the activities… Suddenly our family life is back to being so much fuller.
- My cousin’s little girl’s baby talk during our stroll in the rain.
Friday, July 11, 2014
Thursday, July 10, 2014
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
- Jay wakes up early, just before we leave, and decides to repeat some of the English words for the course she is attending this week. It is funny to see her sitting up in her bed, with books in her lap at 6.30 a.m., so grown up, as if she were studying for an exam.
- With a lottery ticket in my purse everything is possible.
- We have a good laugh together every time I come to his parlor.