- I find my shiny long earrings (…in Em’s drawer) and wear them to the office.
- Today was my no-more-procrastination day for sending sell-out data to two suppliers, dying my hair and writing the advertisement for the real estate site to be published tomorrow.
- Jay tells me about how she hasn’t exercised at all today and talks me into exercising together to an old VHS Billy Blanks’ tae-bo tape which we haven’t done in a long time. I am really happy to hear her call for daily physical activity, and to have done this mini workout together.
Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Sunday, June 28, 2015
- Usually my Sunday morning is very busy and strictly organized. Not today. I take it easy and still get things done.
- Jay is proud of her uphill cycling. She does remark about Em making it all the way to the house without stepping off her bike, but she agrees that she and her legs are getting stronger with every ride and every run.
- When at 9 p.m. the chill is spreading inside of you, threatening to freeze every positive thought, paralyzing, you just need to get up, apply a face mask, then wash your hair and be beautiful and ready for a new day, for a new start.
Saturday, June 27, 2015
We spend the day at Ljubljana. There is lots of sun and joy in the air.
- Drummers in front of Franciscan Church.
- Jay remembers the clay buttons I once bought for her in a quilt shop, and two minutes later we just happen to find the exact artist who had made them, and her booth at the street art fair in the streets of Ljubljana. Same situation, another artist: I spot lovely illustrated postcards in the shop window but the shop is closed; later I pass the artist’s stand with the same postcards. I love art that we can touch and buy and use.
- I am trapped in my car at the parking lot with lightning and thunder that makes the ground shake, but living through it feels liberating.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
- Em’s brief on the two picnics she has been to.
- I make it all the way to the top of the hill and back, only in two rounds: two thirds of the way in the morning, almost solo, only accompanied by birds chirping...
- … and the last third in the afternoon with my friend Irena and our girls, topped with pastry, right from the oven, and ice-cream.
Thursday, June 18, 2015
- Em returns home earlier than me. And she is cooking lunch today. Lentils soup and pancakes. Even Jay agrees that it’s yummy.
- First they bicker then they get to enjoy the game (of badminton) and the company of one another. I can imagine this will be the pattern for the next 70 summer days. It’s a good one though, I think.
- I dig and tend the last patch of the vegetable garden. No more weeds.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
- I pass a house that seems abandoned. It could be just for the summer. It could be for sale. A spark of hope.
- A glass of South African red wine at dinner.
- An invasion of ants in our kitchen. I take the usual measures, and I am done within a few minutes. Em helps. No long faces, no discussion, almost a fun project at 11 p.m.
Monday, June 15, 2015
- There are very few sprouts of my beans, so I figure I could add some to fill the empty rows in the garden, but when I remove the moist soil from the top I find that also other young seedlings have taken off, and obviously only needed rain to give them a push.
- When I see the disappointment on her face, I give in and take her along to the yoga class. I shouldn’t have done it, because it is adults only, but the teacher is glad to have her join and eventually it turns out to be a good experience for all. I am amazed by her discipline to stay quiet and work along. After all, she is only nine and so full of life.
- I finish my 7-day journaling late at night. I am so not used to handwriting anymore, so I am glad I pushed myself to do it.
Thursday, June 11, 2015
- The good thing about taking a train home is that you get to read a book for 20 minutes.
- My aunt’s floral-print harem pants are super lovely.
- The rhythmic gong bath is so relaxing I get carried away a couple of times and nap a little. Jay falls asleep. It is the first time my girls both attended, and that is so nice.
Tuesday, June 9, 2015
- The virus seems to be active again, making me cough and sneeze 10 times in a row. But I am fighting it. I am fighting all the bad in my life and making room for more good.
- I remove clutter from the bathroom. I am tired so I go through the stuff quickly and without being sentimental about every single item in my hands. A good experience.
- A storm is raging over our house. I enjoy the sound of the pouring rain, thinking of my vegetable garden.
Monday, June 8, 2015
- I am the first parent at 7 a.m. to fill out the form at the music school for Em's solo singing class starting in fall.
- I can’t enter the highway at Zalec, yet no roadworks sign. Not a good thing. But as I take a detour I realize I could make a really quick stop at the school where my friend works as the principal, and that is a good thing. I am glad I had an extra bag of cherries from our garden to leave with her.
- The wall painter stops by to check the bathroom walls. He is a very hardworking and kind man, I can tell, and I am really glad he managed to find the time to do this job for me.
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
- A thick envelope in the mailbox. A long letter and lots of photos. So nice. Thanks, Laura.
- Just as I am done covering the beans with moist soil, I hear Jay calling from the balcony when I will be coming inside.
- I took a challenge. I am learning Italian for 10 minutes a day for the next 30 days. I brushed off the dust from the Italian learning kit with cassettes that I had bought more than 20 year ago.