- I check the bookstore, then walk back to the office.
- As I come up to the hallway, I hear a sound behind my back - it is Jay sitting on the upper stairway, waiting for me.
- At bedtime Jay suggests we flip through the latest edition of NG. We both love the images from the national parks.
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
Monday, January 25, 2016
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
- Em gives me a call right after history class. She is furious even three hours later when I pick her up. But she smiles by the time we get to the third traffic lights.
- After I am finished cleaning up and Jay is finished with her school work she wants us to start some craft project. We create a card for my cousin’s birthday. The flowers don’t exactly pop out like we were hoping, but it is nice.
- I am in bed by 9.30 p.m. I need some beauty sleep.
Monday, January 18, 2016
- I have a new company mobile phone, my first touch-screen. My two coworkers first joke about it, but actually it only takes me about one minute to know how to use it and access all my data.
- Jay shows me their new hip-hop choreography as soon as she walks in and takes off her jacket.
- I tick off another few tasks just before sleep. Changing passwords in all my social media accounts is one of them.
Sunday, January 17, 2016
- Colorful food on our plates: risotto with sweet corn, peas and diced red peppers.
- An e-mail from an old friend from overseas, a nice surprise.
- I get dressed to go out, and when Jay sees me she suggest we both go for a walk which is a lovely change. She is not very fond of hiking and usually needs a push. I think it is because she enjoys walking on fallen tree trunks so much.
Saturday, January 16, 2016
- Jay helps me put away the Christmas tree decorations and the nativity scene. We are finished really quickly and don’t feel sentimental about it.
- Irena only stays a short while but I appreciate her moral support.
- Jay plays wonderfully at the concert, same as all other participants of the seminar. Afterwards we go for cakes to Dobnik’s, just like I promised.
Thursday, January 14, 2016
- I can tell that Jay is very nervous before the seminar. But when she plays, she is calm yet passionate and eager to incorporate the professor's suggestions. He seems very pleased and agrees she plays so well she could perform any two works at the Saturday concert, out of four works they had practiced. Jay beams with pride.
- New data in my company profile: I have the same number of paid time-off days as last year, good!
- Tonight I started reading the poem about the Goldhorn by Anton Askerc to Jay like I had to Em six or seven years ago. It will take many bedtime readings before we are finished and I am looking forward to these.
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
- I made lunch right on time. One of their favorites, pasta with gorgonzola.
- Jay wonders about the pianist’s changing expressions on his face and I say he must have been talking to the piano while playing which makes her laugh.
- I noticed that she was a little distant. I thought it was just school work. Then tonight she opens up to me. It is sad, but a beautiful moment, and I am very grateful I can be there for her anytime she needs me.
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
- I plan out my lunch break really well: after taking the books to the library I have a lovely walk along the river, stop at the book store and then have a decaf at my favorite café.
- At first I have mixed emotions when the neighbor shows up at our doorstep with some of Em’s bijoux that she found in the bushes along the road, where they had obviously been tossed away by the burglars, keeping the valuable stuff. But Em is thrilled and I take it as a good sign.
- I do some decluttering, which is now a daily task written down in my Moleskine. Another pile of books for the local libraries, two nightstand drawers empty now, and a bag of stuff from the bathroom that will be taken to the waste & recycling centre.
Monday, January 11, 2016
- I bought my first Moleskine to keep better track of all to-dos in my life. I am very excited.
- Jay clings to me while we sit on her bed as if to pour some of her joy into my tired soul.
- It’s pouring outside, rain and hail, with thunder. I stay up late, watching tv, to make my girls feel safe while one is studying French and the other is sleeping in her room.
Sunday, January 10, 2016
It's been a hard weekend. Lots of bad things happened. Things got stolen, a virus hit. And yet there are many things to be grateful for once you clear your mind and remember your values and priorities.
- Nobody’s been hurt and on the outside there’s little evidence of vandalism which makes is easier to go on with everyday life.
- All computers and cameras in the house intact. Memories safe for now.
- Jay feeling better now. And looking forward to her piano seminar coming up this week.